Please let me know if anything here is outdated or defunct. I aim to please.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chollapalazza II

I have no real idea how to spell the name of this event, but as I think they made it up, I don't think it really matters. The main thing is, it was fun. Sunday lived up to its name, as it turns out; the sun shone down onto China Steps as though it were meant to be. Tens of people crowded the square to observe the spectacle as Lindsay Anna, The Apollo Ghosts, David Thee King Elmhurst, Kristjanne Jasper, and a conspicuously absent Angelo Spencer took to the stage. Or didn't, in the case of Spencer, who was detained at the border. I assume he was presumed to be a threat to national security, as his name sounds kind of foreign. Also, there may have been more acts to see but I was forced to leave prematurely. Everyone who played seemed a little rough around the edges, presumably due to a late night at Crace Mountain the night before, but I thought it helped to create a relaxed, casual, almost homey atmosphere.

The Venue

China Steps. Basically an alley that is big enough to call a plaza or a square, China Steps is a great place to shoot heroin or cut through from the highway to the bong store. But it's so much more. It's a place to flick your cigarette butts when you're drinking on the 'patio' at the Queens. It is the gateway to the Thirsty Camel Cafe, purveyors of some of the best food I've had in the Hub City. It's also the home of CHLY, Nanaimo's community radio station, and not a bad spot to have some music on a sunny summer day.
China Steps is fortunately located quite a distance south of this location.
The Crowd

The usual suspects. People I've rarely seen in the light of day were out in summer style: shorts, shades, hats and hot dogs were everywhere. The children present rabidly disobeyed their parents and had fun.

Lindsay Anna

Sounds good, looks good.  Lindsay Anna is good.
Lindsay Anna was up when I arrived, lavishing the crowd with her (mostly) country musical stylings. Local rock icon Mike (The Sheds, Early Man) paid a strong compliment to her whiskey tinged vocal and general aesthetic with a comparison to Lucinda Williams, a sentiment I had to echo.

David Thee King Elmhurst

Usually found at the helm of the good ship Madonna Bangers, or wrestling in some shady fixed event in some disreputable locale, Mr. Elmhurst graced us with his 'comedy' stylings. He laid down some stand up that fell flat till he stood down. So unfunny it was funny. Laughably funny? Maybe.
Maybe not.
Apollo Ghosts - Since 2009
Apollo Ghosts

Apollo Ghosts served up a set of  back to basics rock and roll with riffs that hearkened back strongly to the very roots of the genre. Their strong pop sensibilities combined with a danceable garage rock sound got people past bobbing their heads all the way to shuffling their feet.  Good shit.

Kristjanne Jasper

I didn't really get a chance to experience Ms. Jasper's set as my kid wouldn't stop punching me in the balls and I decided that, even though I don't need any more children, I better get out of there before he did any permanent damage.

On the whole, the second Chillapalooka (Catchachalupa?) was a great event, and I sure hope they repeat the affair again and again. Next time they do, you oughta show up because if you don't, why should they bother? Get out there and support local music and community radio.  And have fun and hot dogs doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment